Who wouldn’t want their mother/mother-in-law living at the end of the garden?

Whilst this article in This is Money online magazine mentions that one of the interviewees applied for planning permission for a granny annex at the end of the garden, it can be the case that planning permission is not required.


We certainly would recommend you apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness.

Contact us at C2C Planning or fill out the form below to discuss your current or emerging needs (it doesn’t have to be your mother or your mother-in-law!)

Successful Lawful Development Certificate from Mid Devon

c2c Planning have just received notification that a Certificate has been granted for a property which we have shown to be in breach of an agricultural occupancy condition for the last 10 years.

The application was submitted with the plethora of Statutory Declarations from the property owner and tenants to show that the tie was not complied with.  We think that our timeline graphic assists planning officer’s to pull together the information in those documents and we submit those with out Certificates.  We also think it assists us and our clients in ascertaining where there may be gaps in the evidence before it is submitted.

Our timeline graphic
Our timeline graphic

Of course, the Certificate does not remove the agricultural tie; rather, as long as the condition is not complied with, enforcement action will not be taken.